Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cupcake Island


 As of today,
Josie has dreams of opening her own bakery when she grows up.


She calls it,
"Cupcake Island."
 I love a girl who dreams.

Earlier this summer she dreamed of working at a gas station
so that she could drink an icee everyday.

I wasn't quite as impressed with that one.

 (Do not worry, birthday cousins, she did not actually lick the ingredients of your dessert!)

But things change.
Things change a lot around here.


Josie gave first grade "school at school" a try.  
She begged to go like the big kids.
The first few days were all smiles and fun and friends.
From all reports, Josie fit right in.


But it didn't last. I don't know why. 
(I know she didn't like having to sit criss-cross-applesauce on the floor,
but I wouldn't call that a deal breaker.)

 

I guess school just wasn't what she'd thought it would be.
(Here is where one might be tempted to say, "I told you so!")
As with the other kids, I was prepared to help her through 
the hard adjustment period in whatever way worked.


   
Right about the time she started to hesitate about the whole school thing,
crying every night and morning, crying at school, crying at recess...
I got sick.
 

Then I got sicker.
The nurse practitioner called it pneumonia 
and gave me big strong antibiotics and sent me to bed.
I couldn't take care of Josie's anxiety and take care of me.
So Josie stayed home.

 Home.
 I think that's where she's going to be for another year or two.

And I'm glad.

Home school just works best for her right now ... and for me.
First grade is my favorite.  We are going to have so much fun.


I'm glad Josie tried school.  
Now she knows.
Now I know.
 Now she won't beg.
Don't worry, school, she'll be back ... someday.


But for now, she's home sweet home!


3 comments:

  1. It is so hard to keep up with your family! I'm glad things are shifting into place and I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are still so cool, no matter where Josie goes to school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Josie that she did a wonderful job and her cupcakes were delicious. =)

    ReplyDelete