Monday, March 12, 2012

One Glorious Day


When a glorious long awaited spring day like yesterday finally comes, 
I just can't be inside. Especially if it's Sunday. 

Growing up we were not allowed to do much of anything on Sundays, but my Dad loved to go for a ride in the car.  Many times it was a combo--a ride to one of his childhood haunts where we would climb out of the car AND go for a walk.  This one place in particular stands out in my memory as VERY exciting.  Okay, family... I was pretty little and easily impressed, but was this not the most thrilling Sunday afternoon destination?


I don't remember much about this place but for the crossing of the stream.  There was this old remnant of a bridge and in order to cross the stream you had to shimmy sideways across a narrow metal beam.  You can't see it well in the picture, but there was a rusty rail to hang onto. Look at my Mom--I love it!  She never wore pants for anything.

I don't know if I ever crossed by myself.  In my memories, I'm always riding on Dad's back--terrified and excited as he confidently made his way across.  I loved it.  I loved Sundays.  I'm sure I complained that it was an excruciatingly boring day.  But looking back, it really was my favorite day because we were always all together.



Last night, after I tucked Jacob into bed, he was sad because we didn't get to spend much time together during the day. Now don't feel too bad. He choose to spend the afternoon playing with his neighborhood friends.  He just gets sentimental at bedtime.  It's an effective ploy to get me to stay a little longer and rub his back and tell him stories.  So there we sat in the dark and I told stories about walking down to the corner Dime Store with Julie and getting a whole bunch of candy with just one quarter.

Then he says out of the blue,

"Do you miss your Dad?"

"Yes, Jacob, I miss him very much."

More than words can say.

But here's the thing.  
It's only temporary.  
We'll all be together one long awaited day,
 more glorious than the most beautiful spring day you can imagine. 

We'll walk together and hold hands again, I just know it. 



And we'll never ever have to say good-bye.








6 comments:

  1. I am always blessed by the things you share, Kristi. I am grateful you had an opportunity to have such a beautiful conversation with Jacob born out of grief. Thanks once again for sharing such a beautiful truth, one we all long for as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that we never have to say good-bye. I miss my people who are up in Heaven something fierce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I wonder who took those pictures? : )
    Yes, those were good times!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good memories. I remember walking across a swinging rope bridge at a park one Sunday with my dad. Some of the boards in the floor were missing & my dad rocked the bridge really hard to hear us scream. He always liked to tease. Thanks for the reminder. :) Heaven's not as far or scary when we've treasures such as these awaiting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Kristi, for the sweet memories.
    Love you, little sister!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete